Lighthouse of El Rompido dominates the landscape of the town, with white and red. Nevertheless, next to it a smaller and oldest lighthouse rises, del S. XIX. Both make up the typical image of El Rompido.
A lighthouse at the mouth
The old lighthouse of El Rompido starts in 1861 and he was at that time against Punta Cat, that is to say, the arrowhead, so that marked the mouth of Piedras River. The design of this lighthouse, of frustoconical shape and flashlight decagonal, He corresponded to Angel Mayo and is very similar to Mesa Roldán lighthouse, in Carboneras, Opened four years ago.
The old lighthouse has a height 13 meters and extent of his enlightenment was 16 miles. From the Thirties, mainly due to increased scope of Lighthouse Mazagon, the lighting is replaced by a permanent one acetylene. That was in operation until 1976, with the entry into operation of the new lighthouse.
The new lighthouse
The tallest lighthouse is located just a few meters from its nineteenth neighbor, completing a stamp of tradition and modernity in a single image. this faro, build in 1975 and running from 1976, has 31 meters high and is 14 meters above sea level.
Its design is cylindrical with red and white bands, very similar to Harbor Lighthouse Huelva, and it is constructed with reinforced concrete.
The new lighthouse of El Rompido, unlike the previous, It is remotely operated by the Port Authority of Huelva, so nobody lives in it. International number is the D-2312 and has a range of 24 nautical miles overnight. The nearest running lights are those of Ayamonte and Huelva.